News Feed

Polish PM Tusk blames Russian hackers for cyberattacks ahead of presidential election

2 min read
Polish PM Tusk blames Russian hackers for cyberattacks ahead of presidential election
Donald Tusk, Poland's prime minister, arrives for a special European Council meeting in Brussels, Belgium, on March 6, 2025. ( Simon Wohlfahrt/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said that Russian hackers targeted websites of parties in his ruling coalition just two days before the country's presidential election, AP reported on May 16.

Tusk said the cyberattacks hit the website of his Civic Platform party, as well as those of its coalition partners, the Left and the Polish People's Party (PSL).

"Two days before the elections, a group of Russian hackers operating on Telegram attacked the websites of the Civic Platform," Tusk wrote on the social platform X. "Our services are conducting intensive operations. The attack is still on."

The frontrunner in Sunday’s vote is Warsaw Mayor Rafal Trzaskowski, a senior member of Civic Platform.

Polish authorities are also investigating paid political ads on Facebook that a state research institute flagged as possible election interference. The National Research and Academic Computer Network, known by its Polish acronym NASK, said it reported the misleading ads to Meta, which owns Facebook, and that the ads were removed.

"Ad accounts involved in the campaign have spent more on political content than any election committee in the past seven days," NASK said in a statement on May 14, claiming that actions were  "intended to ostensibly support one of the candidates and discredit others."

Poland has faced a surge in cyberattacks in recent years. In late 2024, officials reported up to 1,000 daily cyber incidents believed to be carried out by Russian and Belarusian actors. Authorities have linked the attacks to Poland's support for Ukraine amid Russia's full-scale invasion.

In September 2024, the Polish government accused Russia and Belarus of extorting information, blackmailing individuals and institutions, and waging "de facto cyberwar."

Russian hybrid operations in Europe are becoming more frequent and aggressive, especially since the start of Russia’s full-scale invasion, the EBU Investigative Journalism Network reported in January, citing 20 government, military, and intelligence officials from 10 countries.

Ukraine and Europe in March signed a memorandum of understanding to support joint research, innovation, and EU-funded projects in cross-border cybersecurity projects.

Avatar
Anna Fratsyvir

Assistant Opinion Editor

Anna Fratsyvir is an assistant opinion editor at the Kyiv Independent, with a background in broadcast journalism and international affairs. Previously, she worked as a news editor at the Kyiv Independent, and as a TV journalist at Ukraine’s public broadcaster Suspilne, covering global politics and international developments. Anna holds a Bachelor's degree in International Communications from Taras Shevchenko National University and is currently an MA candidate in International Relations at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS).

Read more
News Feed

"If we see an opportunity to pull together talks that are productive, not counterproductive, and that have the chance to be fruitful, we're prepared to play that role," U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said.

Our members don't just provide our funding; they also encourage us, share story ideas, and go to incredible lengths to help Ukraine. We are constantly impressed by our members' kindness and generosity, so we decided to find out more about where they come from and why they choose to support us.

Show More