The Kyiv Independent – Ukraine’s biggest English language publication is looking to fill a photo editor position.
The Kyiv Independent is Ukraine’s main English-language news outlet. It was founded in November 2021 by a team of reporters and editors who were fired from the Kyiv Post for defending editorial independence, in partnership with a media consultancy company Jnomics. Today it’s a team of around 40 people based mostly in Kyiv. Publishing in English, we serve as Ukraine’s voice in the world and the world’s window into Ukraine.
- Making sure the Kyiv Independent’s stories are illustrated with relevant visuals;
- Find and edit photos;
- Coordinate with journalists and editors to find suitable visuals;
- Manage the relationship with freelance photographers, organize shootings;
- Manage the Kyiv Independent media library and photo archive;
- Manage the relationship with photo agencies (Reuters, Getty Images);
- Take photos when necessary.
- Have experience in photography and photo editing;
- English language proficiency (B2-C2);
- Based in Kyiv;
- Knowledge of photo editing software;
- Understand the basics of photography, visual style, and photo editing;
- Ability to communicate complex ideas simply;
- Ambition and eagerness to learn and grow professionally, desire to improve the Kyiv Independent’s style;
- A devotion to the values of independent journalism and the Kyiv Independent.
- Market-level compensation;
- Working with a young and highly motivated team, for an award-winning media startup.
- Busy but flexible work schedule.
Note: It’s a full-time position. Hybrid format of work is possible for this position upon agreement.
Thanks for taking the time to apply to work with the Kyiv Independent. If you are among the qualified candidates, you will receive an email from a member of our hiring team to schedule an interview.
Please note that while we would like to meet with all applicants, we may not have the opportunity to do so due to the volume of applications we receive.