Skip to content
Edit post

Wagner Group claims to have stopped recruiting prisoners for war against Ukraine

by The Kyiv Independent news desk February 9, 2023 11:19 AM 2 min read
A screenshot from a video showing Wagner Group head Evgenii Prigozhin personally recruiting prison inmates in Russia in mid-2022. (Telegram)
This audio is created with AI assistance

Russia’s Wagner mercenary group has “completely stopped” recruiting prisoners to fight alongside Russian forces in Ukraine, Wagner founder Evgenii Prigozhin said on Feb. 9.

Prigozhin’s claim comes nearly half a year after Wagner began recruiting prisoners in mid-2022, whom, according to their contract, are offered an official pardon if they serve six months on the battlefield.

While Wagner Group forces were largely responsible for the capture of Soledar and other areas around Bakhmut in Donetsk Oblast, evidence points to high casualties and other internal issues.

The Institute for the Study of War (ISW), a D.C.-based think-tank analyzing the war in Ukraine, said that conventional Russian forces began replacing the exhausted Wagner mercenaries after capturing the salt-mining town of Soledar.

Investigations by the New York Times and Reuters have revealed that the Wagner has suffered extremely high casualties in Ukraine.

Last week, the U.K. Defense Ministry also acknowledged that the scale of Wagner’s recruitment of prisoners to fight had "probably significantly reduced" compared to its peak between the summer and fall 2022.

In late January, Olga Romanova, head of Russia Behind Bars, a nonprofit that protects the rights of convicts, recently said that only 10,000 of the nearly 50,000 mercenaries recruited into Wagner had remained in service – suggesting that the rest had deserted or had been killed or wounded.

The U.S. has designated Wagner Group as a “significant transnational criminal organization” and imposed sanctions on its support network worldwide.

With the loss of Soledar, Ukrainian positions in Bakhmut jeopardized
Support independent journalism in Ukraine. Join us in this fight.
Freedom can be costly. Both Ukraine and its journalists are paying a high price for their independence. Support independent journalism in its darkest hour. Support us for as little as $1, and it only takes a minute.
visa masterCard americanExpress

News Feed

12:56 PM

Ex-lawmaker Pashynskyi released on bail.

Former lawmaker Serhii Pashynskyi, suspected of illegally appropriating almost 100,000 metric tons of state-owned oil in 2014, was released from custody on bail, Pashynski said on social media on Feb. 27. The bail was set at Hr 272.5 million ($7.1 million).
Ukraine Daily
News from Ukraine in your inbox
Ukraine news
Please, enter correct email address
6:47 AM

ISW: Russia holds offensive initiative.

"Russian forces have regained the theater-wide initiative and will be able to pursue offensive operations when and where they choose as long as they hold the initiative," the ISW said.
MORE NEWS

Editors' Picks

Enter your email to subscribe
Please, enter correct email address
Subscribe
* indicates required
* indicates required
Subscribe
* indicates required
* indicates required
Subscribe
* indicates required

Subscribe

* indicates required
Subscribe
* indicates required

Subscribe

* indicates required
Successfuly subscribed
Thank you for signing up for this newsletter. We’ve sent you a confirmation email.