Investigative Journalist for The Kyiv Independent
The Kyiv Independent – Ukraine’s biggest English language publication is looking to fill an investigative journalist position.
The Kyiv Independent is Ukraine’s main English-language news outlet. It was founded in November 2021 by a team of reporters and editors who were fired from the Kyiv Post for defending editorial independence, in partnership with a media consultancy company Jnomics. Today it’s a team of around 40 people based mostly in Kyiv. Publishing in English, we serve as Ukraine’s voice in the world and the world’s window into Ukraine.
- Pitching exclusive story ideas;
- Having and developing sources;
- Filing FOI requests;
- Independently setting up interviews and organizing work trips;
- Creating exclusive content;
- Participating in multimedia investigative stories if required (video supplement or podcast);
- English language (C1 or native speaker);
- Ukrainian and/or Russian language (C1 or native speaker );
- Sufficient journalistic experience;
- Experience working for an online and/or print publication;
- Good understanding of news and current affairs in Ukraine and the region;
- Familiarity with OSINT and fact checking;
- Ability to scrape, clear up and analyze data as well as experience working with databases
- would be considered an advantage;
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines;
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members and external stakeholders;
- A strong devotion to democratic values and journalism standards;
- Being based in Kyiv would be considered an advantage.
- Market level pay;
- Flexible work schedule;
- A young and highly motivated team;
- The ability to create stories for an award-winning publication known around the world.
Candidates with relevant skills and experience will be invited for an interview.