Skip to content

News Feed

9:20 AM
According to the report, Russia has also lost 4,655 tanks, 8,912 armored fighting vehicles, 8,716 vehicles and fuel tanks, 6,210 artillery systems, 789 multiple launch rocket systems, 530 air defense systems, 315 airplanes, 316 helicopters, 4,867 drones, and 20 warships or boats.
1:54 AM
Russian spies are using hackers to target computer systems at law enforcement agencies in Ukraine as means to identify and obtain evidence related to alleged Russian war crimes, Ukraine's cyber defense chief, Yurii Shchyhol, told Reuters on Sept. 22.
Ukraine Daily
News from
Ukraine in your
9:58 PM
President Volodymyr Zelensky addressed the Canadian Parliament on Sept. 22 after his talks with the country's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. In his welcoming words at the House of Commons, Trudeau announced further aid for Ukraine, including 650 million Canadian dollars ($480 million) for 50 armored vehicles, as well as training on F-16 fighter jets.
6:14 PM
U.S. President Joe Biden had told his Ukrainian counterpart Volodymyr Zelensky that the U.S. would provide Ukraine with a small number of long-range ATACMS missiles, NBC News reported on Sept. 22, citing three U.S. officials and a Congressional official familiar with the discussion.

watch us on facebook

Edit post

UN: 292 civilian casualties recorded in first 10 days of September

by Kris Parker September 12, 2023 7:54 AM 2 min read
Residents of Bucha, Ukraine at a memorial with the names of 501 civilians killed in Bucha by Russian Russian forces, July 2, 2023. (Photo by Oleksii Chumachenko/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)
This audio is created with AI assistance

The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) recorded 292 civilian casualties in Ukraine from Sept. 1 through Sept. 10, with 55 killed and 237 injured.

One child, a girl, was included in the list of civilians killed.

The confirmed total for civilian casualties since Feb. 24 2022, when Russia launched its full-scale invasion, now stands at 9,614 dead and 17,535 wounded.

The OHCHR also said that these numbers are incomplete, given information delays from areas of intense fighting, and that they believe the actual figures to be “considerably higher."

The latest report includes 47 people killed in Ukrainian-controlled territory and 8 killed in Ukrainian territory occupied by Russian forces.

Weapons with “wide area effects,” such as artillery, rockets, and missiles, were responsible for 94% of the recent casualties. Mines and other explosive remnants were responsible for the remaining 6%.

Areas of Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts still under Ukrainian control have accounted for 10,545 casualties, with another 11,396 recorded in other parts of Ukraine and 5,208 recorded in Russian-occupied territory.

The OHCHR issues reports based on information collected by the UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine (HRMMU), which collects information through interviews with victims and witnesses, as well as through all available forms of documentation or potential evidence.

As counteroffensive presses forward in southeast, ‘every meter costs a life’
Editor’s note: The Kyiv Independent is not disclosing the soldiers interviewed in the story by their full names due to security concerns amid the ongoing war in Ukraine. The article also contains photos that some readers may find disturbing. DONETSK OBLAST – Twenty-nine-year-old assault company com…
Support independent journalism in Ukraine. Join us in this fight.
Freedom can be costly. Both Ukraine and its journalists are paying a high price for their independence. Support independent journalism in its darkest hour. Support us for as little as $1, and it only takes a minute.
visa masterCard americanExpress

Editors' Picks

Enter your email to subscribe

Please, enter correct email address


* indicates required
* indicates required


* indicates required
* indicates required


* indicates required


* indicates required
Successfuly subscribed
Thank you for signing up for this newsletter. We’ve sent you a confirmation email.