The Power Within: The Kyiv Independent’s first-ever magazine. Be among the first to get it.

pre-order now
Skip to content
Edit post

UK intelligence: Newly mobilized Russian troops arrive with ‘minimal or no training at all'

by The Kyiv Independent news desk November 5, 2022 10:01 AM 1 min read
This audio is created with AI assistance

The U.K. Defense Ministry said in its intelligence briefing on Nov. 5 that Russia is struggling to provide military training for its current mobilization drive and its annual fall conscription intake.

“Newly mobilized conscripts likely have minimal training or no training at all,” the ministry said, adding that Russia has also sent experienced officers and trainers to the war but “some have likely been killed.”

The intelligence assessment comes a day after Russian President Vladimir Putin announced that his country had conscripted 318,000 citizens and that 49,000 of them are already on the front line.

A growing number of reports have suggested that newly mobilized conscripts are sent to the battlefield without adequate training or necessary equipment, thus suffering a high mortality rate.

Earlier in November, independent Russian news outlet Novaya Gazeta confirmed the deaths of at least 100 newly mobilized soldiers. According to Novaya Gazeta, every fifth of them never reached the front line – their causes of death were fights, alcohol, drugs, suicide, and accidents.

Moscow’s draft campaign began on Sept. 21 following Putin’s declaration of what he called “a partial mobilization” of up to 300,000 reservist forces. The campaign, likely announced in a desperate move to boost Russia’s stalled war progress in Ukraine after suffering humiliating military defeats, was heavily criticized both domestically and by the West.

Could mobilization, battlefield defeats cost Putin his regime?

News Feed

8:10 PM

Ukraine receives 5,000 more Starlink terminals from Poland, minister says.

"Starlinks will help residents of the front-line territories to stay in touch: call relatives, call emergency services, read the news. Due to attacks and destruction of base stations in the de-occupied territories, regular communication is unavailable," Digital Transformation Minister Mykhailo Fedorov said.
1:54 PM

US committed to NATO membership, Rubio says.

"As we speak right now, the United States is as active in NATO as it has ever been," U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said at a press briefing alongside NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte.
MORE NEWS

Editors' Picks

Enter your email to subscribe
Please, enter correct email address
Subscribe
* indicates required
* indicates required
Subscribe
* indicates required
* indicates required
Subscribe
* indicates required
Subscribe
* indicates required
Subscribe
* indicates required

Subscribe

* indicates required
Subscribe
* indicates required
Subscribe
* indicates required
Explaining Ukraine with Kate Tsurkan
* indicates required
Successfuly subscribed
Thank you for signing up for this newsletter. We’ve sent you a confirmation email.