Russia

Putin claims Ukraine peace proposals too 'exotic' for Russia

3 min read
Putin claims Ukraine peace proposals too 'exotic' for Russia
In this pool photograph distributed by the Russian state agency Sputnik, Russian President Vladimir Putin gives an interview to Vesti TV channel in Moscow on Aug. 22, 2026. (Mikhail Metzel / Pool / AFP via Getty Images)

Russian President Vladimir Putin claimed on Aug. 22 that Moscow has received what he called "exotic" and "unacceptable" proposals related to ending the war in Ukraine.

The comments come during a period of stalled peace talks, with Ukraine and the United States exploring new approaches to move the process forward, including proposals for a partial aerial ceasefire. Kyiv has also pushed for a ceasefire framework based on the current front line.

"The proposals being conveyed to us are sometimes, I would say, exotic in nature and are unacceptable," Putin told journalist Pavel Zarubin in an interview following the United Russia party congress.

"We are always ready for dialogue about peace, but only on the basis of the realities that have developed on the ground," he added.

When asked what he meant by "exotic" proposals, Putin refused to clarify.

"I would not like to talk about that now or go into details, because this is a kind of 'probing' along various lines regarding possible agreements," he said, adding that similar ideas had been raised previously but were now being presented differently.

U.S.-brokered peace talks between Kyiv and Moscow have not moved forward in recent months, with Russia continuing to demand that Ukrainian forces withdraw entirely from Donbas as a condition for an agreement. Ukraine has rejected those demands, arguing that freezing the current front line would provide the most realistic basis for a ceasefire.

President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Aug. 12 that Kyiv and its allies have a joint plan to pressure Putin into ending the war, though the details of the plan have not been disclosed. Previously, officials told the Kyiv Independent that the U.S. and Ukraine were coordinating new ceasefire proposals, including a possible halt on aerial attacks, which have intensified dramatically on both sides in recent months.

The Kremlin said in July that it was too soon to comment on those reports. A U.S. official told the Kyiv Independent in August that Washington does not yet know the details of Zelensky's latest peace plan.

As Putin rejects ceasefire negotiations, Russia continues to bombard Ukrainian cities with deadly ballistic missile strikes. In his comments on Aug. 22, Putin claimed the escalating aerial campaign was a response to Kyiv's attacks on e-commerce giant Wildberries — though Ukraine only began targeting these facilities in July.

Putin's remarks come a few weeks ahead of Russia's  parliamentary elections, scheduled Sept. 18–20. Ukrainian officials have warned that Putin may wait until after the vote to order a new wave of mass mobilization — a deeply unpopular move, but possibly Putin's last hope to fully conquer Donbas.

Russian officials, meanwhile, have publicly downplayed the idea of mass mobilization.

News Feed
Show More