The Power Within: The Kyiv Independent’s first-ever magazine. Be among the first to get it.

pre-order now
Skip to content
Edit post

Ukraine denies asking EU not to sanction Belarus.

by The Kyiv Independent news desk January 12, 2023 9:17 PM 1 min read
This audio is created with AI assistance

Oleg Nikolenko, a spokesman for Ukraine's Foreign Ministry, on Jan. 12 denied media reports that Ukraine had asked the EU to exempt Belarus from the latest sanctions package imposed for the invasion of Ukraine.

Earlier in the day, RFE/RL journalist Rikard Jozwiak reported, citing unnamed sources familiar with the matter, that Belarus had not been included in the latest EU sanctions package at Kyiv's request.

Belarus has participated in Russia's aggression by allowing Russian troops to use its territory for attacks against Ukraine.

Nikolenko said that a number of Belarusian individuals involved in Russia's aggression against Ukraine had been sanctioned in the previous rounds of sanctions.

"Ukraine and its partners are now actively working to make the tenth EU sanctions package as meaningful as possible," he said.

He said that Kyiv is aware of the discussion between the EU member states regarding further synchronization of sanctions imposed on Russia.

He added that there is currently no consensus within the bloc.

Even after sanctions, Russian economy can pay for war



On Jan. 9, Ukraine's Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal said Ukraine expects the EU to impose sanctions on Russia's nuclear industry, specifically the state nuclear operator Rosatom, in its next package of measures against the country.

The most recent package of EU sanctions against Russia, which was approved in December, includes restrictions in the export, banking, broadcasting, consulting services, energy, and mining sectors, as well as individual sanctions.

News Feed

8:10 PM

Ukraine receives 5,000 more Starlink terminals from Poland, minister says.

"Starlinks will help residents of the front-line territories to stay in touch: call relatives, call emergency services, read the news. Due to attacks and destruction of base stations in the de-occupied territories, regular communication is unavailable," Digital Transformation Minister Mykhailo Fedorov said.
1:54 PM

US committed to NATO membership, Rubio says.

"As we speak right now, the United States is as active in NATO as it has ever been," U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said at a press briefing alongside NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte.
MORE NEWS

Editors' Picks

Enter your email to subscribe
Please, enter correct email address
Subscribe
* indicates required
* indicates required
Subscribe
* indicates required
* indicates required
Subscribe
* indicates required
Subscribe
* indicates required
Subscribe
* indicates required

Subscribe

* indicates required
Subscribe
* indicates required
Subscribe
* indicates required
Explaining Ukraine with Kate Tsurkan
* indicates required
Successfuly subscribed
Thank you for signing up for this newsletter. We’ve sent you a confirmation email.