Commercial Writer (freelance) for The Kyiv Independent
The Kyiv Independent – Ukraine’s biggest English language publication is looking to fill a commercial writer position.
The Kyiv Independent is Ukraine’s main English-language news outlet. It was founded in November 2021 by a team of reporters and editors who were fired from the Kyiv Post for defending editorial independence, in partnership with a media consultancy company Jnomics. Today it’s a team of around 40 people based mostly in Kyiv. Publishing in English, we serve as Ukraine’s voice in the world and the world’s window into Ukraine.
- Generate ideas for native articles based on client’s brief;
- Communicate with clients and partners, presenting ideas for native articles;
- Create engaging native content for client campaigns;
- Suggesting, finding, and interviewing heroes for commercial stories;
- Going on reporting trips in Ukraine and abroad if necessary;
- Research, write and publish content that will promote products and services of the client;
- English language proficiency (C1 or native speaker);
- Command of Ukrainian language (enough to read and understand news updates, as well as understand a statement delivered in a video/audio form);
- Good understanding of news and current affairs in Ukraine and the region;
- Journalistic experience would be considered an advantage;
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members;
- Devotion to the values of independent journalism and understanding of the importance of commercial revenues for media sustainability;
- Being based in Kyiv would be considered an advantage.
- Market level compensation;
- Working with a young and highly motivated team, for an award-winning media startup;
- Working on a freelance basis (per story basis);
- Consistent mentoring and multiple opportunities for professional development.
The candidates with relevant skills and experience will be invited for an interview.
Note: This is a project-based position, hybrid or remote work is possible for this position upon agreement.