The Kyiv Independent – Ukraine’s biggest English language publication is looking to fill an accountant position.
The Kyiv Independent is Ukraine’s main English-language news outlet. It was founded in November 2021 by a team of reporters and editors who were fired from the Kyiv Post for defending editorial independence, in partnership with a media consultancy company Jnomics. Today it’s a team of around 40 people based mostly in Kyiv. Publishing in English, we serve as Ukraine’s voice in the world and the world’s window into Ukraine.
- Managing NGO accounting (tax reporting, payments, bank accounts etc.);
- Managing private entrepreneur’s accounting for key personnel (paperwork, tax reporting, internal fin reporting);
- Managing LTD paperwork (contracts, invoices, acceptance certificates etc.)
- Managing the overall company paperwork online and offline:
- manage a physical space in the office to properly store paperwork;
- manage online file management across legal entities;
- Managing donor financial reporting and budgeting (project budgets for proposals, financial grant reports);
- Feeding data to a consolidated company budget (both expenses and forecast);
- P&L across companies (commercial, reader revenue and grant income);
- Assistance in managing team FOPs (sending reminders, helping solve tax issues if/when needed etc.);
- Setting up and managing cash flow;
- Assistance with side projects administered through other (partner) legal entities;
- Working closely with other financial stuff.
- Proficiency in Excel;
- Proficiency in file management, financial reporting and accounting software (E.g. Vchasno, Finmap etc.);
- Ability to prepare financial statements;
- Knowledge of general business practices;
- Ability to analyze financial data;
- Strong command of English language (upper intermediate or advanced);
- Strong knowledge of Ukrainian financial regulations;
- General understanding of UK financial regulations;
- Experience working as a financial manager and/or an accountant in media and/or NGO sector would be seen as an advantage;
- Solid problem solving skills and ability to work under pressure, including handling tight deadlines while maintaining rigorous accuracy;
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members and external stakeholders;
- Knowledge and understanding of the values of The Kyiv Independent;
- Flexibility and eagerness to learn and grow professionally.
- Market-level compensation;
- Working with a young and highly motivated team for an award-winning media startup;
- Busy but flexible work schedule.
Note: It’s a full-time position in Kyiv office or remote (upon agreement).
Thanks for taking the time to apply to work with the Kyiv Independent. If you are among the qualified candidates, you will receive an email from a member of our hiring team to schedule an interview.
Please note that while we would like to meet with all applicants, we may not have the opportunity to do so due to the volume of applications we receive.